Monday, January 5, 2015

Personal Experience (Chia)

My sister and I have a routine of getting together for dinner on Sunday nights. I head over to her place in the morning and we go shopping for the ingredients we want to prepare that night. This week we started our shopping by going to Sprouts https://www.sprouts.com/ and picking up some great ingredients to make a very nice charcuterie. While perusing the vast amount of goodies available for purchase I came across the raw drink section in the refrigerated aisle. I am a huge fan of juicing and eating lots of fruits and veggies in their natural form, but while in this section I came across something new to me. Chia. When you think of Chia you may think of this (like I did)



however, Chia is becoming better known as a great source of healthy omega-3 fats and fiber, and, according to my research, it's an easy food to add to your diet. Chia seeds come from a flowering plant in the mint family that's native to Mexico and Guatemala, and history suggests it was a very important food crop for the Aztecs.

The little seed appears to have a huge nutritional profile. It contains calcium, manganese, and phosphorus, and is a great source of healthy omega-3 fats. As an added benefit, chia seeds can be eaten whole.

Chia's positive health effects are noted to include boosting energy, stabilizing blood sugar, aiding digestion, and lowering cholesterol.

I am going to start adding some of these seeds to my juice in the morning and I will let you know if I feel any of the results this little seed is supposed to add to my overall well-being.

Happy juicing everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment